Edit: I apologise if you were trying to comment before and were receiving a message about a password; one of my spam filters must be out of date or acting up because I didn’t know about it until today. You should be able to post without any problems now. If the problem persists, please drop me a line by email and I’ll look into it. Thanks! =)
TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:
– Grab your current read
– Open to a random page
– Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
– BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
– Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
– Should Be Reading
Two teasers from me this week:
“Since the Bath Season had hardly begun, the musicians who entertained the company every morning in the Pump Room during the full Season were not present, but a fair sprinkling of visitors was already in evidence. A somewhat depressingly large number of the visitors were valetudinarians, either hobbling about on sticks, being afflicted by gout or rheumatism; or elderly dyspeptics, hopefully seeking a cure for liver disorders arising from the excesses of their earlier years.”
– Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer
Since reading Venetia last week, my collection of Heyer books waiting to be read has expanded. Not sure what to think of Annis Wychwood’s love interest, but it’s amusing how she ends up involved in Lucilla and Ninian’s problems. I’m curious to see how the story unfolds.
“Never can there come fog too thick, never can tehre come mud and mire too deep, to assort with the groping and floundering condition which this High Court of Chancery, most pstilent of hoary sinners, holds, this day, in the sight of heaven and earth. On such an afternoon, if ever, the Lord High Chancellor ought to be sitting there–as here he is–with a foggy glory round his head, softly fenced in with crimson cloth and curtains, addressed by a large advocate with great whiskers, a little voice, and an interminable brief, and outwardly directing his contemplation to the lantern in the roof, where he can see nothing but fog.”
– p. 2, Bleak House by Charles Dickens
Typical Dickens, eh? This book has been sitting on my shelf, waiting to be read, for more than a year so yay that I’ve finally started!
Where has the month gone? One minute it’s the end of September and now it’s the end of October!
(I got these animated gifs (this and others I’ve used in two other posts) from LJ but I don’t know who the original maker was; if you’re that person, just comment and I’ll credit you—thanks!)
01. So I blitzed through the entire month reading books and cleaning my room, which means a) posted some book reviews, b) reorganised my bookshelves (which were a mess before, with books on my desk, in my closet and sort of on the floor) and c) still have not posted up photos from my vacation (though you can see a few over at my shiny new photoblog).
02. The slow reorganisation of my website continues: if you type in the url to my website (www.rulethewaves.net), you will be instantly redirected here to this blog rather than to an index page. I decided that since this blog is used more often than the other segments of my website, it should be brought to the fore. If you scroll down, on the first column menu, you will see a heading entitled “rulethewaves.net”. Here you will find the links to the other subsections of my website, such as the personal gallery and the photoblog.
03. Next month is going to interesting; as I mentioned a few weeks ago, I’m going to be particpating in NaNoWriMo for the first time! The event starts on Tuesday, and I’m pretty much geared up and ready to go. Thanks to a conversation I had with my brother earlier, my general plot has shifted a bit and has been become rather exciting so we’ll see how it goes! So that means I probably won’t be reading as crazy much as I was this past month but you never know, I have a tendency of reading novels when I should be typing away! I’ll post updates here and there over here, we’ll see. By the way, if you’re interested in adding me over there, this is me; just let me know who you are when you add me ^_~
Ciao! *waves* So it’s been a while since I’ve made an entry here that’s not book-related in any way, lol. So here’s the deal: I’ve completed my M.A. program—
(I actually finished late last month, when I blitzed my thesis defence and my Russian translation exam in one day—not advisable, by the way)
So what does this mean? Aside from the inescapable doom of facing a highly uncertain job market (which I will not continue on about as I prepare my cover letters simultaneously), this means that I have time now to blog and update to my heart’s content. My website hasn’t been properly updated since…oh, maybe January of this year? I have plans to do some major overhauling of the content across the board (here, my photo blog, my art site), which started with updating the layout of my blog here! Yup, as you can see, I’ve switched themes over here. I wasn’t planning on it initially but something was acting up on the main page of the old layout that was bothering me to no end so I switched themes today. I like the colours on this layout so yeah, expect this one to stick around for a while (until another layout catches my fancy, lol).
Additionally, you’re going to be hearing a lot about upcoming creative projects in the coming weeks (depending on how busy it gets on the RL side—I’m planning on taking some Italian classes next month, which will keep me on some academic mindset, while continuing the said job hunt), projects that were postponed during the summer due to thesis-writing. To give a hint, it’s mainly photography—starting with posting up pictures from my recent trip (despite being home for the past week now, I still haven’t gone through the photos).
Also, you’ll be hearing about my foray into NaNoWriMo! This is the first year that I’m actually free to participate in the event since I have no essays or deadlines to worry about. I sort of have a story idea to work with for this project (for a while there I was panicking because I had no story idea to work with) so it should be interesting to see where the journey takes me =P So yeah, this blog will be used to update everyone (and myself) with the contest.
And that’s about it and my ramblings about this website and my plans in the coming weeks for it =) Talk to you all real soon =D