Well, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas weekend! Mine was quiet; it was nice to be home for Christmas this year, lol. Well, another year will be over in a few days and Li’s a-planning ^_~
01. I’ve been pretty busy here on my blog in the past few days, having posted up four book reviews (here, here, here and here), participated in two weekly book memes (here and here) and prepared my books read list and books to read list in preparation for 2012. Err, yes, my to-read list is starting off massive this year *blushes*
02. I filled out The Best of 2011 In Books meme a few weeks ago—feel free to check it out, weigh in, fill it out yourself on your blog and share your thoughts! It’s a lot of fun, really wraps up the year reading-wise =)
03. Depending on my bandwidth, in the next few days I hope to post a compilation of my favourite songs (using YouTube videos) of 2011. I have it posted up in my livejournal, but I’ve never thought of posting it here on my website blog until now xD
04. I mentioned this in a previous post like this, but I’m planning on doing some major re-reading in the coming year. It’ll be a chance for me to write reviews on books I’ve read in the past (but never got around to writing them for whatever reason) and re-visit some books I’ve been meaning to get back to for some time now. I may make a separate post about it in the near future; I’m still in the process of selecting which books I want to re-read in the immediate future.
05. I forgot to mention that I recently set up this website with a mobile layout so if you’re on your iPhone or smartphone, you can check out my blog without having to magnify the page and straining your eyes =D
06. I’ve decided to participate in a reading challenge in the upcoming year (a first for me! Never done one of these before). This one is particularly fun because the theme is everything Italian! =D
I Love Italy Reading Challenge 2012 hosted @ Library of Clean Reads
And that’s it from me for now. Hope you all are having a wonderful week! =D
So here we are, it’s December! Amazing how fast time has been going, eh? I’ve been updating this blog quite a bit lately so here’s the breakdown of what’s been going on since…well, the last time I did one of these, lol.
01. NaNoWriMo finished last week and what a month it was! I surpassed the 50 000 word count sometime around the 22nd, which was pretty exhilirating, especially considering that it was my first time doing it! I’m not going to be touching it for a while because I have a couple of story ideas floating around my head that I want to jot down. The NaNoWriMo website actually listed a number of other similar programs going on in between now and the next NaNoWriMo so I might be trying one of them out over the course of next year. We’ll see ^_~
02. I finally uploaded my photos from my vacation to Italy last October! Took me long enough, eh? I broke them down to a number of posts because I had quite a number of photos (despite having narrowed them down already from the number of folders I accumulated during the course of that week):
I hope to update my photoblog in a few days as there were a few photos I came across during the upload process that I think it worth particular mention, hehehe.
03. I also filled out the Best of 2011 in Books meme. It was quite a year for me reading-wise (despite the madness of my thesis-writing) so it was nice to reflect on what I read and what stood out for me.
04. Speaking of books, I am planning on doing a bit of a major re-read in the new year. I’ve accumulated quite a number of books over the years and in an effort of dwindling down my ever-expanding to-read pile (which I’ve been failing miserably at; I finished three books in the past few days, only to buy a few more today—I’m never going to break this cycle! lol) and getting back to some favourites, I’ve decided to re-read more next year (it’ll be my resolution in the new year, lol). Does anyone know if anyone is hosting a re-read challenge for 2012? I could host one myself, I don’t know.
And that’s about it for me for now! xD Christmas is a few weeks away and I hope to re-read some Christmas-themed books between now and then…we’ll see. I’m also busy in my Christmas seasonal job (at a bookstore, so you can imagine how much damage my to-read list is getting, haha) and until today have been attending Italian language classes, hence why I haven’t been participating in any of the weekly memes such as Teaser Tuesdays and Booking Until Thursdays lately. But yeah, we’ll see how the next few weeks turn out…until next time! =)
Where has the month gone? One minute it’s the end of September and now it’s the end of October!
(I got these animated gifs (this and others I’ve used in two other posts) from LJ but I don’t know who the original maker was; if you’re that person, just comment and I’ll credit you—thanks!)
01. So I blitzed through the entire month reading books and cleaning my room, which means a) posted some book reviews, b) reorganised my bookshelves (which were a mess before, with books on my desk, in my closet and sort of on the floor) and c) still have not posted up photos from my vacation (though you can see a few over at my shiny new photoblog).
02. The slow reorganisation of my website continues: if you type in the url to my website (www.rulethewaves.net), you will be instantly redirected here to this blog rather than to an index page. I decided that since this blog is used more often than the other segments of my website, it should be brought to the fore. If you scroll down, on the first column menu, you will see a heading entitled “rulethewaves.net”. Here you will find the links to the other subsections of my website, such as the personal gallery and the photoblog.
03. Next month is going to interesting; as I mentioned a few weeks ago, I’m going to be particpating in NaNoWriMo for the first time! The event starts on Tuesday, and I’m pretty much geared up and ready to go. Thanks to a conversation I had with my brother earlier, my general plot has shifted a bit and has been become rather exciting so we’ll see how it goes! So that means I probably won’t be reading as crazy much as I was this past month but you never know, I have a tendency of reading novels when I should be typing away! I’ll post updates here and there over here, we’ll see. By the way, if you’re interested in adding me over there, this is me; just let me know who you are when you add me ^_~
Ciao! *waves* So it’s been a while since I’ve made an entry here that’s not book-related in any way, lol. So here’s the deal: I’ve completed my M.A. program—
(I actually finished late last month, when I blitzed my thesis defence and my Russian translation exam in one day—not advisable, by the way)
So what does this mean? Aside from the inescapable doom of facing a highly uncertain job market (which I will not continue on about as I prepare my cover letters simultaneously), this means that I have time now to blog and update to my heart’s content. My website hasn’t been properly updated since…oh, maybe January of this year? I have plans to do some major overhauling of the content across the board (here, my photo blog, my art site), which started with updating the layout of my blog here! Yup, as you can see, I’ve switched themes over here. I wasn’t planning on it initially but something was acting up on the main page of the old layout that was bothering me to no end so I switched themes today. I like the colours on this layout so yeah, expect this one to stick around for a while (until another layout catches my fancy, lol).
Additionally, you’re going to be hearing a lot about upcoming creative projects in the coming weeks (depending on how busy it gets on the RL side—I’m planning on taking some Italian classes next month, which will keep me on some academic mindset, while continuing the said job hunt), projects that were postponed during the summer due to thesis-writing. To give a hint, it’s mainly photography—starting with posting up pictures from my recent trip (despite being home for the past week now, I still haven’t gone through the photos).
Also, you’ll be hearing about my foray into NaNoWriMo! This is the first year that I’m actually free to participate in the event since I have no essays or deadlines to worry about. I sort of have a story idea to work with for this project (for a while there I was panicking because I had no story idea to work with) so it should be interesting to see where the journey takes me =P So yeah, this blog will be used to update everyone (and myself) with the contest.
And that’s about it and my ramblings about this website and my plans in the coming weeks for it =) Talk to you all real soon =D
I was awarded this lovely blogger award by Zakiya LadyWings @ Butterfly Feet Walking on Books earlier this week. Thank you soooooooo much, that was very thoughtful of you and I really appreciate it =) It’s also my first blogger award so that’s pretty cool too =D
When accepting this award, you are asked to:
1) Thank and link back to the person who gave you this award. (done)
2) Share 7 things about yourself.
3) Pass the award along to 15 bloggers who you have recently discovered and who you think are fantastic for whatever reason! (In no particular order…)
4) Contact the bloggers you’ve picked and let them know about the award.
Okay, 7 facts about myself:
01) Been reading quite a spectrum of books these days, from classical literature to general fiction to historical fiction and historical non-fiction but my roots lie in science fiction and fantasy. Grew up to Star Trek novelisations, J.R.R. Tolkien, Tad Williams, Frank Herbert and company =)
02) When I started my undergrad, I wanted to specialise in British history and international relations. When I graduated from my undergrad, I specialised in Russian & Soviet history and identity politics
03) My birthday usually falls a week before (Canadian) Thanksgiving
04) I’m left-handed
05) I presently own 5 pairs of Converse sneakers (soon to be 4 because one of them has been beaten up pretty badly from walking across Europe, lol)
06) I love coffee. No, really =P
07) I recently realised how attached I am to my email. My internet connection can be crappy (and it has had its ups and downs since September) but as long as I can check my accounts, I’m good, lol.
And the fifteen blogs I pass this blog along to:
02) Reid’s Readings
03) The Book Coop
04) The Crowded Leaf
05) The Perpetual Page-Turner
06) The Book Whisperer
07) The Bluestocking Guide
08) The Bookish Snob
09) Escape Between the Pages
10) Everything Distils Into Reading
11) The Literary Lollipop
12) Fluidity of Time
13) Christina Reads
15) Explorations, Reflections, and Meditations
Congratulations to all the winners! =)