(Forgot where this was posted at but the special on Game of Thrones was ace)
01. Biggest (and latest) update here on rulethewaves.net
: new layout! Much as I liked the old layout, it was starting to look a little too cluttered for my tastes so I thought a change was in order. This new layout is a lot simpler, a lot cleaner and a little easier to re-organise around and stuff. Plus there’s no pesky issue with the comments section anymore (in the threads before, I couldn’t find the css that dealt with the background for my comments…very annoying). Not to mention I miss having a header at the top of my blog (the photo used is one of my own, taken in Verona, Italia in 2010). There are a few things I likely have to tweak here and there but I’ll deal with them as they crop up. As an aside, I’m learning how to use the Thematic
theme for my other site
(work on that other layout is slow at the moment, I should note–I will hopefully start working on it a lot more in the coming weeks) so until then I’ll be sticking to this layout.
02. Posted a lot of book reviews
including a re-read commentary of GRRM’s A Clash of Kings
. Speaking of all things GoT-related, I finally finished my commentary post about the Baratheon brothers
, whose dynamic is super interesting.
03. I also posted a number of movie reviews recently: The Immortals
, Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
04. On a related note, I finally finished watching series 1 of Downton Abbey
! Expect a review from me…soonish =P
05. The latest issue of Femnista
is out! The theme of the issue is the Edwardian period; my contributing piece was on A Room with a View
and you could read my brief comments about the novel in this post
And that’s about it from me (for now)! What do you guys think of the layout? Any problems that I should be aware of? Hope you all have a wonderful weekend =)
lol, I haven’t posted here in almost five days now which got me a bit antsy so here’s this post! =P Anyways, here’s an update of everything that’s been going on here at rulethewaves.net since my last update ^_~
(I loved this episode; sadly, I don’t know who made this wonderful gif, I saw it on tumblr, I believe)
01. I’ve posted a ton of book reviews since my last general update (11! Wow!), which has been fun. In the process I’ve read two more books to go with the I Love Italy Reading Challenge, which is cool. My to-read pile expanded majorly in the past few days–going to try and refrain from book-buying for this Lenten season =P (let’s see if I can do it)
02. I finally got around to purchasing a new domain for the other website so I’m hoping to start working on that next week depending on when it’s implemented. If I was smart with my time
instead of oggling over fandoms and pretty pictures on tumblr I should have already watermarked my photos that are going to uploaded there but alas, did not really think that through (though I had an excuse: earlier this week I wasn’t well). Not to mention I’ve been meaning to upload them to websites like 500px. Nonetheless, I’m excited to get started on that though =)
03. Speaking of websites, I’ve formally started my role as webmaster for my parish. It’ll take a week or so to get everything set up but I’m also looking forward to putting that project together as there’s a lot that we can do with it. I’ll be sure to post the link up here once everything is set up so that you can see what I’ve been up to! ^_~
04. The job hunt is sort of preoccupying me both in my things-to-get-done list and mentally (which is very frustrating and another topic altogether) so I’ve been pretty slow in getting started in the other creative projects (i.e. my works-in-progress, compiling photos from my last vacation, etc.). My friend on livejournal recently reminded me that it’s been ages and a day since I’ve made any wallpapers or icons or whatnot (according to my arts site it’s been almost two years–rikes!). We’ll see if I can squeeze in some graphics in the near future ^_~
And that’s about it on what’s been going on at my end! I’ve started Intermediate II in my Italian language classes so that’s also been keeping me pretty busy. Hopefully I’ll be proficient enough to start typing some entries in Italian? lol, maybe, maybe not ^_~ Anyways, I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!
I actually posted an entry like this a week ago but decided to update the entry =P I hope everyone’s January has been going well; mine has been all right so far, minus the inconsistent cold outside (very weird for a January) and both my laptop and my ancient desktop crashing within a span of three weeks ;_; So it might be a while before I get around to some of the later comments I’ve received recently (still navigating through this other CPU; am trying to be careful this time)–sorry about that!
But anyways, on to the happier stuff: what has been going on here at my website lately?
01. The biggest news is that it looks like I’m going to be acquiring another domain (!!!) It’s a long story concerning another domain that belongs to my dad. He’s no longer using it so I’ve been thinking that instead of just closing it and discontinuing the pay (since they’re both under my account with my hosting company anyways), I’d just change the domain url and use it myself.
The question now is what am I going to do with it?
I’ve been thinking for some time about separating some of the content in this website and establishing a more professional website for myself. However, I’m not entirely sure what else will be going there other than my photoblog, Through Caffeinated Lens. I still have weeks to decide and I still have to back-up all the content there and here so it should be clearer in a while (that’s the fun part). I’ll keep you all posted on that!
02. Been posting quite a bit lately, particularly in terms of book review but I’ve also posted some fun stuff recently. For example, if you’re interested in diving into the fantasy genre, I’ve listed out a number of books to get you started. And if things have been pretty blah on your end lately or the weather has been dark, snowy or rainy (like it has been on my end), I’ve suggested a number of books that would brighten the day.
03. On the writing front, I’ve writing daily (offline) more or less, which is great. I’ve posted an entry yesterday about my ‘tools of the trade’ (with pictures!) if you’re interested in checking that out and weighing in. I’m planning on participating in Script Frenzy in April (this is me!); it’s been years since I’ve participated in that event.
04. Finally, been posting more movie/television reviews lately, such as my overall reviews of the 1996 Doctor Who movie and A Dangerous Method and a a commentary about family on A Game of Thrones. I’ve recently started watching Downton Abbey so expect to see some postings about that show here soon!
That’s pretty much it for this post, which to be honest was just a way of putting down my ideas about this domain issue *blushes* What do you guys think? Hope you all have a wonderful week and weekend! =)
Well, I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas weekend! Mine was quiet; it was nice to be home for Christmas this year, lol. Well, another year will be over in a few days and Li’s a-planning ^_~
01. I’ve been pretty busy here on my blog in the past few days, having posted up four book reviews (here, here, here and here), participated in two weekly book memes (here and here) and prepared my books read list and books to read list in preparation for 2012. Err, yes, my to-read list is starting off massive this year *blushes*
02. I filled out The Best of 2011 In Books meme a few weeks ago—feel free to check it out, weigh in, fill it out yourself on your blog and share your thoughts! It’s a lot of fun, really wraps up the year reading-wise =)
03. Depending on my bandwidth, in the next few days I hope to post a compilation of my favourite songs (using YouTube videos) of 2011. I have it posted up in my livejournal, but I’ve never thought of posting it here on my website blog until now xD
04. I mentioned this in a previous post like this, but I’m planning on doing some major re-reading in the coming year. It’ll be a chance for me to write reviews on books I’ve read in the past (but never got around to writing them for whatever reason) and re-visit some books I’ve been meaning to get back to for some time now. I may make a separate post about it in the near future; I’m still in the process of selecting which books I want to re-read in the immediate future.
05. I forgot to mention that I recently set up this website with a mobile layout so if you’re on your iPhone or smartphone, you can check out my blog without having to magnify the page and straining your eyes =D
06. I’ve decided to participate in a reading challenge in the upcoming year (a first for me! Never done one of these before). This one is particularly fun because the theme is everything Italian! =D
I Love Italy Reading Challenge 2012 hosted @ Library of Clean Reads
And that’s it from me for now. Hope you all are having a wonderful week! =D
So here we are, it’s December! Amazing how fast time has been going, eh? I’ve been updating this blog quite a bit lately so here’s the breakdown of what’s been going on since…well, the last time I did one of these, lol.
01. NaNoWriMo finished last week and what a month it was! I surpassed the 50 000 word count sometime around the 22nd, which was pretty exhilirating, especially considering that it was my first time doing it! I’m not going to be touching it for a while because I have a couple of story ideas floating around my head that I want to jot down. The NaNoWriMo website actually listed a number of other similar programs going on in between now and the next NaNoWriMo so I might be trying one of them out over the course of next year. We’ll see ^_~
02. I finally uploaded my photos from my vacation to Italy last October! Took me long enough, eh? I broke them down to a number of posts because I had quite a number of photos (despite having narrowed them down already from the number of folders I accumulated during the course of that week):
I hope to update my photoblog in a few days as there were a few photos I came across during the upload process that I think it worth particular mention, hehehe.
03. I also filled out the Best of 2011 in Books meme. It was quite a year for me reading-wise (despite the madness of my thesis-writing) so it was nice to reflect on what I read and what stood out for me.
04. Speaking of books, I am planning on doing a bit of a major re-read in the new year. I’ve accumulated quite a number of books over the years and in an effort of dwindling down my ever-expanding to-read pile (which I’ve been failing miserably at; I finished three books in the past few days, only to buy a few more today—I’m never going to break this cycle! lol) and getting back to some favourites, I’ve decided to re-read more next year (it’ll be my resolution in the new year, lol). Does anyone know if anyone is hosting a re-read challenge for 2012? I could host one myself, I don’t know.
And that’s about it for me for now! xD Christmas is a few weeks away and I hope to re-read some Christmas-themed books between now and then…we’ll see. I’m also busy in my Christmas seasonal job (at a bookstore, so you can imagine how much damage my to-read list is getting, haha) and until today have been attending Italian language classes, hence why I haven’t been participating in any of the weekly memes such as Teaser Tuesdays and Booking Until Thursdays lately. But yeah, we’ll see how the next few weeks turn out…until next time! =)