Nowadays a big part of book blogging–or blogging in general, really–is connecting with readers through various social media. I’d like to think that I’ve been pretty good on that front, connecting my site mainly through Twitter, Tumblr and Goodreads. The only one I haven’t made a connection with is Facebook.
It’s one of those things that I’ve been debating for a while now. I used Facebook quite a bit during my undergrad days; it was an amusing place where us undergrads hanged out during the middle of deadline season, procrastinating away through conversation and posting up amusing articles and YouTube videos. That sort of died down a bit during my grad school days, using it only to post up pictures of the places I’ve been to. Now, I’m just not there much.
Part of my gradual meh-ness over it has been the amount of changes that have taken place during the past 3 – 4 years; my news feed makes no sense any more and the privacy options, for all of their promotion that it’s far more flexible, is far more confusing to use. But a lot of people use it and it’s another platform for people to connect to one’s website and one’s content.
So I guess my question is to you all is, how do you feel about having a Facebook page (in general, I suppose, haha)? If I made one for this blog, would you “like” it? For my fellow bloggers, do you have a Facebook page for your site? What do you think of it, would you say it’s worth having one? What do you do with your Facebook page?
Not my gif but I guess it’s just one of those days for me xP
- Biggest news about this website this month is the new domain name! Earlier this month I switched over from rulethewaves.net to caffeinatedlife.net. The transfer was pretty smooth, took only a day to tidy everything up (switch url links in blog posts, change some of the database information) and save for one minor mishap with the commenting system, everything is in order. Yay! =)
- I read a ton of books this month, including Eleanor Brown’s Weird Sisters, Mary Robinette Knowal’s Shades of Milk and Honey, Deborah Harkness’ Shadow of Night and Luigi Pirandello’s The Late Mattia Pascal. You can find the reviews for these books in the book review tag.
- Actually watched a few movies this month! (surprising considering how slow I am with movies). I watched Skyfall (review), Argo (review), Midnight in Paris (review) and Anna Karenina (2012; review)
- The January/February issue of Femnista is out! Be sure to check it out ^_~ You can read a bit more about what I contributed for that issue over here
And of course, interesting links that I’ve come across over the past month:
(Not my gif; festive Schweinsteiger seemed appropriate today)
Ta-da! My switch over was processed without any problems and here we are at caffeinatedlife.net (formerly known at rulethewaves.net) =)
The layout’s still the same, links were changed without any problems (thank goodness for the Velvet Blues Update URLs plugin–such a lifesaver!) and information throughout the rest of the website will be updated shortly but overall it feels like a new website in a way =D Aside from the url, I tried as best as I can to change the places I’m currently linked at, especially the feeds:
I’m having a bit of trouble with NetworkedBlogs and BlogLovin at the moment but there’s always the “Follow” button at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen to receive email updates of new posts from here at my blog =)
Because I haven’t posted in a number of days and I’ve read a ton of books since my last book-related post (yeah, studying has been fun O_o), I’ve posted up a number of book reviews:
Anyways, please let me know if you’ve noticed any broken links with the RSS feeds or elsewhere and I’ll get right on it! =) Happy Wednesday!
I can’t believe it’s already the end of January! (I know I say something along these lines at the end of every month but it never ceases to startle me) Madness, lol. Here’s what has been going on around the website for this first month in the new year:
Not my gif but that’s what it feels like I’m doing these days, tidying up my online life a bit =P
- I reviewed a lot of books this month. Just check out the tag and find out what’s been reviewed =) I’ve also posted up a commentary on Jane Austen’s Emma.
- I posted up one movie review this month: To Rome With Love (review)
- I also posted up one television-related review this month: Doctor Who Christmas Special 2012 (review). The only other television-related post I’ve been posting up this entire month is everything Babylon 5-related (tag) as part of the 100 Things blogging meme.
- Big website news: I posted about it the other week but this is just a reminder that starting sometime next month (there will be a notice about this sometime before this happens) this website will no longer be rulethewaves.net but caffeinatedlife.net. Be sure to change your bookmarks and/or links! I’m not sure how quickly the switch-over will be (as I’m a bit busy IRL at the moment) but follow me either on Twitter or on Tumblr (may also use my WP.com blog) for the latest updates!
- New layout! Aside from last week when we finally got -20C-like winter weather, it hasn’t really felt like winter over here but nonetheless my layout is featuring some winter-y goodness =D Plus, a total change in colour scheme was refreshing IMO =D
- Finally, I’m a bit behind on getting back to comments *blushes* I haven’t forgotten, it’s just that I have a few quizzes to write next week so I’ve been studying, lol. Soon, soon…
And of course, the following are just a few links to articles I found interesting during the past month. Actually, it’s a whole slew of links ranging on a number of subjects of interest (and in no particular order, really):
I usually post these sorts of updates at the end of the month but the following is one piece of news that warrants an early announcement (I will post a reminder at the end of the month and before it happens next month):
(Not my cap and lol, my news is much more exciting than this minion’s expression. I just chose it because he’s in front of a computer =P)
I think I hinted a few months ago that I was thinking of some changes here at my domain. After considerable thought, I’ve decided that I will be changing my domain name/url. Starting sometime in February, the url to (and the name of) this domain change to caffeinatedlife.net. It was a bit of a difficult decision to make because rulethewaves.net has been the name of this place for the past 6 years and, random piece of trivia here, reflected my interest in British naval history (in a way I am still interested in the subject but alas, chose not to pursue it at the graduate level in the end).
Meanwhile caffeinatedlife.net reflects more of who I am (well, definitely my lifestyle hahaha) and I want that sort of personalisation on my website as well (since my username in most places is ‘caffeinatedlife’ or some variation of it; sadly it was taken already on Twitter so I opted for the Italian translation (as close as I could get it) =P).
While the transition will be pretty immediate, I anticipate that it will take me a few days to get the site readjusted with the new domain, especially with broken image links and links to reviews between entries and such (yeah, those will take some time…if at all). Also, worse case scenario should I fudge up the WordPress transfer *blushes* In the event of the latter, please check out/follow me in the following to get up to date information:
So that’s the upcoming major change that’s going on around here. Again I will make another post about the name change so that you won’t be confused and will be able to change RSS feeds and whatnot =)