I came across this video on ONTD (I know, it’s random) and I’m amused by it because, having lived in Italy for some time, a lot of this is just so true (especially the burocrazia, it’s just ridiculous; right up to the day I left I had to deal with the craziness of going from one desk to another just to get to my plane). Still love Italy though xD
Just came across this video too and it’s hilarious: a comparison between the Italians and the Germans:
I was awarded this lovely blogger award by Zakiya LadyWings @ Butterfly Feet Walking on Books earlier this week. Thank you soooooooo much, that was very thoughtful of you and I really appreciate it =) It’s also my first blogger award so that’s pretty cool too =D
When accepting this award, you are asked to:
1) Thank and link back to the person who gave you this award. (done)
2) Share 7 things about yourself.
3) Pass the award along to 15 bloggers who you have recently discovered and who you think are fantastic for whatever reason! (In no particular order…)
4) Contact the bloggers you’ve picked and let them know about the award.
Okay, 7 facts about myself:
01) Been reading quite a spectrum of books these days, from classical literature to general fiction to historical fiction and historical non-fiction but my roots lie in science fiction and fantasy. Grew up to Star Trek novelisations, J.R.R. Tolkien, Tad Williams, Frank Herbert and company =)
02) When I started my undergrad, I wanted to specialise in British history and international relations. When I graduated from my undergrad, I specialised in Russian & Soviet history and identity politics
03) My birthday usually falls a week before (Canadian) Thanksgiving
04) I’m left-handed
05) I presently own 5 pairs of Converse sneakers (soon to be 4 because one of them has been beaten up pretty badly from walking across Europe, lol)
06) I love coffee. No, really =P
07) I recently realised how attached I am to my email. My internet connection can be crappy (and it has had its ups and downs since September) but as long as I can check my accounts, I’m good, lol.
Well, I’m off to Europe with my family for some vacation time before the new semester starts so no updates from me over here for the next two weeks. Expect some lovely additions to my gallery when I return, hehe =D I hope you all have a wonderful August; take care =)
I just wanted to give a heads up Boof from Boofsbookshelf.com is giving away three copies of Melanie Benjamin’s newest novel Alice I Have Been! Here’s the brief rundown about the novel:
Alice Liddell Hargreaves’s life has been a richly woven tapestry: As a young woman, wife, mother, and widow, she’s experienced intense passion, great privilege, and greater tragedy. But as she nears her eighty-first birthday, she knows that, to the world around her, she is and will always be only “Alice.” Her life was permanently dog-eared at one fateful moment in her tenth year–the golden summer day she urged a grown-up friend to write down one of his fanciful stories.
That story, a wild tale of rabbits, queens, and a precocious young child, becomes a sensation the world over. Its author, a shy, stuttering Oxford professor, does more than immortalize Alice–he changes her life forever. But even he cannot stop time, as much as he might like to. And as Alice’s childhood slips away, a peacetime of glittering balls and royal romances gives way to the urgent tide of war.
For Alice, the stakes could not be higher, for she is the mother of three grown sons, soldiers all. Yet even as she stands to lose everything she treasures, one part of her will always be the determined, undaunted Alice of the story, who discovered that life beyond the rabbit hole was an astonishing journey.
A love story and a literary mystery, Alice I Have Been brilliantly blends fact and fiction to capture the passionate spirit of a woman who was truly worthy of her fictional alter ego, in a world as captivating as the Wonderland only she could inspire.
Sounds pretty interesting IMO! 🙂 To enter the contest, check out this post!