Jamie @ Perpetual Page-Turner‘s End of the Year Book Survey is back this year and whilst this year didn’t feel like as big a reading year as previous years, nonetheless I read some great books. It’s always fun to recap at the end of the year 🙂 To those interested, here’s my previous years’ entries.
And without further ado:
2017 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read:
According to my personal record that I’ve been keeping track of, I’ve read 133 books last year
Number of Re-Reads:
According to said list, 16 books
Genre You Read The Most From:
According to Goodreads, the genre I read the most from this year was poetry. Not surprised; I did indeed read a lot of poetry 😛
Best In Books
01. Best Book You Read In 2017? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2017 release vs. backlist)
I’m too lazy to list everything out so I’m just going to refer to my TTT list from last week
02. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Off the top of my head, I thought I would love Guillermo Erades’ Back to Moscow (review) more but I was left feeling rather ehh about it
03. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
I knew I was going to enjoy Muir Lafferty’s Six Wakes (review) but I didn’t expect to love LOVE it, lol
04. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Hmm, did I hustle a particular book this year? I suppose I did repeat time and again my love of Rachel Joyce’s The Love Story of Queenie Hennessey (review) over the course of the year…
05. Best series you started in 2017? Best Sequel of 2017? Best Series Ender of 2017?
No series started comes to mind but I loved Vivienne Lorret’s Just Another Viscount in Love (review); it was the perfect ending to the Originals series 🙂
06. Favorite new author you discovered in 2017?
Louise Labe, Miguel Hernandez, to name a few…
07. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Not out of my genre comfort zone per se but I did read a bit of Icelandic poetry earlier this year (review)…
08. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Again, Muir Lafferty’s Six Wakes (review)
09. Book You Read In 2017 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Probably Louise Labe’s poetry (review)
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2017?
Lauren Eden’s Of Yesteryear (review):
11. Most memorable character of 2017?
Queenie Hennessey from Rachel Joyce’s The Love Story of Queenie Hennessey (review)
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2017?
Simon van Booy’s Everything Beautiful Began After (review)
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2017?
Not life-changing per se but Julian Barnes’ The Noise of Time (review) reminded me why I studied Soviet Russian history at graduate school
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2017 to finally read?
Dan Simmons’ Hyperion (review
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2017?
I’m too lazy to rifle for my quotes notebook right now lol so I’m going to go with a quote I snapped onto my Instagram:
17. Book That Shocked You The Most (Because of a plot twist, character death, left you hanging with your mouth wide open, etc.)
I actually can’t think of a shocking book moment from this year. Interesting.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!)
Hannah & Henry from Taylor Jenkin Reid’s Maybe in Another Life (review)
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
The friendships featured in Mhairi MacFarlane’s books are always a joy to read
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2017 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:
Rachel Joyce’s The Love Story of Queenie Hennessey (review)
21. Best Book You Read In 2017 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else
Nicholas Sparks’ Two By Two (review)
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2017?
Henry from Taylor Jenkin Reid’s Maybe in Another Life (review) 🙂
23. Best 2017 debut you read?
I keep repeating it lol but Muir Lafferty’s Six Wakes (review)
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next series is always fun
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Kevin Kwan’s China Rich Girlfriend (review)
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2017?
Nicholas Sparks’ Two By Two (review)
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Giles Blunt’s Forty Words for Sorrow (review)–Canadian, the novel in which the television series Cardinal is based off of, highly recommended if you’re into crime mysteries
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
The mood in Arnaldur Indriðason’s Strange Shores (review) stayed with me, as did the mystery…
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2017?
I actually can’t think of one…
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Elena Ferrante’s The Days of Abandonment (review)
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
I’m actually not replying to this section this year as not a lot happened to me, really/couldn’t answer almost all of the questions =/ Maybe next year?
01. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2017 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2018?
*stares at her TBR list* Maybe V.E. Scwhab? Or John Irving’s A Prayer to Owen Meany, been saying I’ll get around to reading it for years…
02. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2018 (non-debut)?
Who’s coming out with books this year? Deborah Harkness, Susanna Kearsley…Pretty sure I’m missing a few authors here
03. 2018 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
As with every year I’m horrible when it comes to knowing debut novels in advance *shrugs*
04. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2018?
Again, I don’t know
05. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2018?
Changes are actually coming to my blog (again) in 2018 as I’ve been so busy IRL to keep a semi-regular presence in the blogosphere. Formal announcement will be made next month after my semester is through but you can still follow me over at Goodreads and Instagram (main // poetry IG). Otherwise I hope to get around to some of the books sitting on my TBR pile that’s been there for years…
06. A 2018 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
Have you read any of the books I mentioned? Curious to check out a few? Be sure to link up, I’d love to see what books made it on your survey! 😉