10 Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts
Bookish and Not-So-Bookish Thoughts is a weekly blogging event hosted by Bookishly Boisterous. It allows book bloggers (and non-book bloggers) to write about pretty much anything, bookish or otherwise (i.e. share exciting plans for the weekend, rants on things they’ve encountered during the week, etc.).
- Oh boo, my categories and tags are missing again ;_; It’s one of those mysterious things with WordPress and there’s no certain resolution to it; fingers crossed this is one of those 24-hour instances.
- It’s the gift that keeps on giving. There was a major council session yesterday at City Hall (which I was following through the 680 News Twitter feed) and lol the stuff that was just coming out of the session. This was personally my favourite, which occurred sometime mid-morning:
lol, the sass. Then later in the afternoon this happened:
Followed by this:
And then this popped up right before I went to class which I’m guessing also marked the end of the council session:
I should’ve known a prostitute would’ve figured in somewhere in the story…
- What’s going on in the Philippines right is just absolutely heartbreaking and frightening with the Typhoon Haiyan last Friday and the aftermath now. There’s obviously a lot of things happening right now down there associated with the aftermath. I just really hope they are able to clear the roads real soon so that the relief can really reach the people still there…
- NaNoWriMo is…not happening right now. I have not touched my writing project since…the first weekend of the month? I’ve been thinking about it though…not that that is really doing anything as I’m supposed to be writing, lol…
- Eleanor Catton’s The Luminaries won the Governor General’s award in fiction yesterday. Another reason to bump this book up the want-to-read list…There are actually some really interesting titles shortlisted for the Governor General’s awards this year, the book covers especially appealing ^_~
- Fellow book bloggers, I guess you’ve had the same dilemma as me where you find yourself wondering (for long periods of time) what book to take with you outside (to work, to read in the transit, etc.)? This has been me for the past week and in the end I decided to read Tolkien’s The Return of the King (I have an extra copy lying around). No matter how many times I’ve re-read LOTR, there are sitll some parts that always get me, like the passage in the second image I’ve posted here: “This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!” And the showdowns between Gandalf and Denethor–talk about high drama. I wish I wrote dialogue like that! 🙂
- After seeing the trailer to the upcoming movie adaptation, I decided I needed to bump Mark Helprin’s Winter’s Tale up my list of books I want to read. Yikes about Colin Farrell’s haircut in this movie (found myself contemplating about it a bit more than the trailer–which may have been a good thing because the trailer seemed rather spoilerish to the actual plot O_o) but otherwise I am intrigued.
- Honestly it has been a rather blah week for me. Final written exam for my lab on Monday, presentation on Tuesday. Next week is my final practical exam for lab and another midterm for my anatomy course. And this weekend I need to drag myself to finally do my CPR certification class(es) -_-; So I do apologise that I have not gotten back to comments here on my blog or have visited your blogs lately. Soon, I hope =)
- Edit: I was going to save the flailing for next week when I post up a number of my Doctor Who-related posts but I had to post this here. I found out about this prequel this morning; my expectations were rather low but then the Doctor showed up and I was like #internallyscreaming
The Eighth Doctor is my second favourite Doctor and I’ve always been rather sore that he never got a proper series of his own. Add my dismay that he and the other classic Doctors were not showing up for the 50th (much as I love the Tenth Doctor, it is an anniversary, you know?). But seeing Paul McGann as the Eighth Doctor for 7 minutes was just as good! =D
*bites her tongue at how some of the dialogue sounded more like the Eleventh Doctor than the Eighth but whatever*And it’s the actor’s birthday, which is just as nifty!
If you’re participating in this, be sure to leave a link! I’d love to read what’s going on with you, bookish or otherwise =) Have a wonderful rest of the week & weekend!