TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:
– Grab your current read
– Open to a random page
– Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
– BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
– Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
Hi everyone! Hope you all had a wonderful weekend =) I have two teasers to share this week with you all:
“He dipped his fingers into barrels of shoes and crates of spectacles and stroked the snuffboxes and thimbles laid out on trays. It was as if these objects, left to their own devices, demonstrated some natural law of affinity, the magnetism of the abandoned. And of course, there was the fact that everything in the shop had once been part of someone’s life; behind every object, however mundane in itself, was a story of despair and even tragedy.”
– p. 51, The Gentle Axe by R.N. Morris
This is the first novel in Morris’s historical fiction/crime series feature Russian detective Porfiry Petrovich, who was one of the main characters in Fyodor Dostoevsky’s Crime and Punishment. My memories of Crime and Punishment are a little vague I remembered thinking that it was interesting for Morris to take the inspector character and write a series of novels featuring him. I’m only a small way into this novel but it’s pretty interesting so far (can never really say no to a novel set in Russia, really, lol).
“‘…If you refuse to obey me, I’ll replace you as commander.’
‘And how will you do that?’
Arista revealed a faint smile. ‘Think hard…I’m sure you can figure it out.'”
– p. 381, ‘The Emerald Storm’, Rise of Empires by Michael J. Sullivan
I’m continuing Sullivan’s Riyria Revelations with the second omnibus, Rise of Empires. ‘The Emerald Storm’ is the fourth novel of the series; I just started it and am quite excited to see where Royce and Hadrian’s story will take them in this installment. I thought this particular exchange was amusing and kick-butt ^_~